How To Migrate Your MODX Site
There is an official migration guide for MODX Revo, but the steps below have been easier for me.
- Update MODX (if necessary).
- Take note of your installed packages.
- Dump your DB, excluding the `workspaces` table (it has path information).
- Install the same (updated) version of MODX on the new server.
- Install the necessary packages.
- Import the DB dump.
- Copy over your assets (i.e., your images, css, js, templates, etc. in your /assets folder).
- Move ht.access to .htaccess if you're using friendly URLs.
- Update your path chunks (I use two chunks for path info (base_url and root_path)).
- Update your CSS background image paths (if you don't already have them set as relative URLs).